Thursday 25 February 2010

Fragile?

Every year Dumfries and Galloway hold an selected open studio event “Spring fling” you are required to put a piece of work into Gracefield gallery for a taster exhibition, I never enjoy this much as it takes me away from my commissions schedule, so this year I thought I should make a bit of extra effort and create something new.

“Mr mussel” my 30 ton hydraulic press, that broke in the cold weather is now back up and running again so I was keen to put it through its paces and do some big section forging and punching.

The design is about an interaction between the strong and solid steel and the fragile glass, I wanted to trap the glass without gripping it. All the steel sections are 40mm solid with holes punched through them to show the plasticity of the steel when hot.

2 comments:

  1. That is very cool....needs a good bit of glass though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. £2.50 in a Tesco sale I think you may be right

    ReplyDelete